Friday, July 28, 2006

July 2006

Any time of the day, when you are least expecting it, fireworks may explode and scare the living daylights out of you here in Brazil.  It may be a soccer game like Wednesday Night and the Sao Paulo Team won AT 11:30 AT NIGHT.  You are sound asleep and KABOOM.  It even woke John and NOTHING wakes John.  It takes a few minutes to calm your heart.  It also might be because the people here had all these fireworks to blast off WHEN Brazil won the World Cup.  Since Brazil did not win they shoot them off at random times.  KABOOM.  It also might be a newlywed couple leaving their wedding reception at 5:30 AM.  KABOOM!!!  Whenever they do this I have this great desire to lean out the window and scream at someone.  I guess I can do it anyway.  They wouldn't understand a word I said.
 
Soap Opera's here are called Novella's.  They only last six months.  Then they start a new one with a different theme.  I even think they use the same actors. Kyle's favorite was a story about Vampires.  She said it was hilarious.  She still laughs when she talks about it and it was a couple years ago.  I still do not understand what they are saying but the costumes are hilariously funny to look at.  I have attached a picture of Kyle with her cat, kissyfur!
 
We have made good friends with a Brazilian young lady named Priscilla.  She does rugs with us and speaks very good English.  She understands us if we speak very slowly.  She said all Brazilians want their children to have blue eyes.  She always comments on people who have blue eyes.  Brazilian's eyes are very dark and beautiful.  We don't understand why they love blue eyes so much.
 
They re-asphalted many streets in our area including our street.  Fortunately this got rid of the hole that could swallow a small car.  We are so grateful.
 
Meredith and John are in Alabama for a month.  She is enjoying being in the United States again especially having Mexican food and American Malls to shop in.  We heard from Ben, just three words I love you, and that made me happy.  We know he is so busy with his new jobs.  We are very proud of him.
 
My friend Jan Rodgers spent the day with me on Wednesday.  She is recovering wonderfully from her surgery.  Thank you for your prayers.  It has been three weeks.  She will be playing tennis before long.  That would be a wonderful thing.  We would appreciate your prayers for Michael Fore.  He is having some pretty serious health issues.  Pray that the doctors would understand just what they are and get him help.
 
The company John works for has joined forces with Owens Corning for a joint venture.It has caused many here and in the states to be concerned.  I have claimed Jeremiah 29:11 to keep my heart from being concerned.  "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Please also continue to pray for John and me about the language.  It is the most difficult thing here.   
 

No comments: