Sunday, July 16, 2006

June 2006

 
Brazil's hopes for World Cup are over.  This brings many sad changes.  No more time off from work.  No more green and yellow on every building, car and person.  No more money spent collecting the World Cup cards/stickers.  No more excitement.  No more fireworks that rattle the walls and make your heart race.  It is very sad because all Americans here were ready to experience the Championship with the Brazilians and now we won't get to.
 
I had a wonderful time at Mom's.  She spoiled me with a sausage biscuit every morning. We watched tv and I worked on my new rug.  We shopped a bit and had a luncheon for her wonderful neighbor, Margaret Martin.  They moved only across town but it is sad to look up there and they are no longer there.  I do love their new home though. Mom and I got to visit with John's sister Betsy in Knoxville for a day and then I met up with John's other sister and her husband, Katherine and Jim, at the Atlanta Airport.  They were on their way to Ireland for vacation.  Everyone was doing really well.
 
I am back in my routine of visiting with friends at the rug store and eating at Romano's.  It only takes a few days to get back in the groove of my Brazilian Schedule.  It is still wonderfully cool and comfortable.  The memories of the horrible heat are fading.  It has been so nice since April 1.  International Paper has brought two new friends, Jane & Wendy.  We are also going to enjoy Wendy's daughter, Margaret.  She may want to escape from all of us.  We all miss our daughter's!!!  Also, Sue Olson, whose husband is with Goodyear, is a new addition.  We now fill the rug store will a bunch of crazy Americans.  I'm sure the owners appreciate the money we are spending.  I met a girl this week, Camilla.  She was an exchange student last year (her junior year in high school) near Tupelo, Mississippi.  It is hilarious to hear this young Brazilian talk with a STRONG Southern accent.  We all laughed.
 
We spent the Fourth of July with many Americans and our Portuguese Teachers at Kathy and Paul Delorme's home.  We had delicious hamburgers, hot wings, potato salad, slaw & the most delicious baked beans.  It was a real American treat!!!
 
Also, Jan Rodgers had pretty serious back surgery today.  She is on staff here with her husband and family with The Navigators.  They took part of her hip bone to replace a bad disc in her back.  Mike, her husband, just called to say she came through surgery just fine.  Thank you everyone for your prayers.  I'll keep you up to date.  She is a real blessing to me.
 
It looks like John will be going to China for a meeting.  Can you imagine John eating the food in China????  That should put him over the edge.  I will pack lots of peanut butter and crackers to get him through. 
 
Not much else to report.  It has been a quiet 3 weeks.  I would love to hear from you. 
Love, Kathy

No comments: