Friday, May 29, 2009

Bugs in Brazil

Cute, but deadly, caterpillar!



I have scars from the mosquitoes here in Brazil that will never go away. At least I hope they were mosquitoes. I stepped on a fire ant hill the first year here while visiting Kyle. Didn't know that the bites would about drive me crazy. Heidi said if you step on an ant hill to pour plain Listerine on the bites and they will be much better the next day. Wish I had that hint 3 years ago. I know I suffered 6 months with those bites. Of course, if I had not scratched them they wouldn't have taken so long to heal.

Anyway, I was sitting at the rug store last week and heard all this commotion in front of the rug store. There was a caterpillar there. I thought to myself why the commotion. Turns out these caterpillars here are vicious. They do not bite or sting but when they crawl on you they send poison through their sneaky little feet. The store owner told me that they have been known to kill dogs and cats. My art teacher said she went to the emergency room because she had been "walked on" by one of these caterpillars. Said she had never known so much pain and they had trouble getting rid of the pain. Finally a kid came up with a broom and knocked that poor caterpillar into the sky. Who knows where he landed!!!!! At least now I know to not think they are cute little critters and try to pick one up.

No comments: