Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Brazil Update May 2009

I have a baby shoe charm for Reagan and I got baby girl #2 shoe charm this week. They are so cute!

Sue is front row in green. (Front row: Nancy, Nectar, Marina, Sue & Kyle. Back Row: Heidi, Cassia, Dionne, Wendy & Jane)



The beautiful tulips at the Mall. During Christmas it was Amaryllis.

In Ecclesiastes 3:2 & 4 the Bible says: A time to give birth, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to uproot what is planted. A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance. The expatriates and many Brazilians here in Brazil have experienced this with the death of our friend Sue Olson. She died suddenly on Mother's Day of a brain aneurysm. It was the day after her 48th birthday. It has been very hard for all of us. We gathered Monday to mourn with her husband Dallas. Sue and Dallas have been here twice. They arrived around the same time we did 4 years ago, then they were sent back to the States, then they returned about 6 months ago. Dallas works for Goodyear. We have had many wonderful times together. She would always meet me for coffee (she always had tea) and she was making a beautiful rug for her Mom. She loved her husband, her family and her dogs very much. We will greatly miss her.

The City where we live, Campinas, has come to a standstill. The buses are on strike. Since this is the mode of travel for probably 1/2 of the people of Campinas it has caused a huge disruption. Driving home last night was proof. I was riding with Pierre and Marina and there was traffic everywhere. I did not know of the strike and Pierre told me the problem. I hope they resolve the situation soon so everything will return to normal. The only good thing for us is the lack of noise because to the back of our apartment is a very busy bus street.

My two favorite waitresses have left Romana's. Diana had been there 9 years and Fabiana 7 years. I really did not even need to place an order with them. They just brought me the same thing every day. I would say they spoiled me rotten. Somehow Diana thought I liked a lot of foam on my coffee. Every time she did my coffee there was at least an inch. I think she got the idea from watching Jan Rodgers sprinkle sugar on her foam and eat it with a spoon. She must have thought I liked it too. It will never be the same for me.

We have been to a bunch of movies the last couple weeks. Kyle and Sam have become our movie buds. We saw Star Trek last week. Many of you know John has always enjoyed Star Trek so he enjoyed this alot. The story starts with the Star Trek characters as very young and then shows how they grow up. It really develops the older characters we have always known. The two best parts of going to the movies with friends here in Brazil are the taco's before at the new Mexican restaurant and the popcorn during. Definitely worth the price of admission. John and I go to the Mall early and walk. The flowers there are always colorful and take your breath away.

No comments: