Friday, April 14, 2006

August in Brazil

AUGUST 18
It has been almost 3 weeks since our last update.  A lot has happened so here goes.
It was a time of many firsts.  
1) I got very sick with a virus and to Meredith's horror John told everyone the intimate details. 
2) John and I went to the most wonderful Dentist.  Her name is Rute but in Portuguese pronounced Hoochie. I had been told in the states that I needed a crown.  She said absolutely not.  She said the filling was just cracked.  She replaced the filling and cleaned my teeth for $100 in Real which is probably $45 American.  It was my best Dental Experience in my 53 years of being alive. 
3) We saw our first movie in Portuguese.  Fantastic Four.  John understood a bit of the movie but the action was so good that it was enjoyable to both of us. 
4)  I had my first haircut.  I went to a man called PH (Peter Henrique).  I felt like I was in the chair of Edward Scissorhands.  Hair was flying everywhere. 15 minutes later I looked pretty good.  They washed my hair in what I would call a trough for cows.  There were 6 other women getting their hair sprayed and washed.  It was very interesting.  He was very nice.  My Portuguese teacher had written how I wanted it cut and he did it perfectly.
5) We found the most wonderful sandwich thanks to Mike Rodgers, one of the Navigators here.  It is a Misto Quente. HOT HAM AND CHEESE.  Oh it is so good.  They serve it with FRENCH FRIES.  OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
The Malls are open here until Midnight.  On the weekends you can hardly walk because of the people at 9:30-10:00.  Restaurants here do not even open until 7 here.  Now all of you know John and he eats at 6.  So that means we won't be eating out much.The thing I miss this week is grass.  There is none.  Everything is covered by concrete.  Isn't that sad?  With so many people everyinch of space is either an apartment, a house or a parking garage.There are olives on EVERYTHING.  They love olives here.  They are used here like mushrooms in the USA.  We met The Fore Family from Wichita Falls.  They moved here the same time we did with the Southern Baptist Association.  They are so sweet.  We have eaten with them twice and went with them to church also.  It was Father's Day here in Brazil and John even got a nifty gift at the Baptist Church.  We will here them all play their violins at church on Sunday Night.  That will be a treat.There are people who drive through the streets with loud speakers yelling and screaming about something they are dissatisfied with.  It is usually the government.  There has been a huge scandal here and it has come out that many in all parts of the government were taking bribes.  Many have resigned.  The President here has a 10th grade education.  I do not know what will happen to him.  The dollar suffers because of it here.  When the dollar suffers so do the missionaries because their money from the states doesn't go as far.  Birthday's are a very big deal here! Especially a girl's 15th.  It means a big expensive party and fancy dresses and lots of gifts and people.  Almost like a debutante party in USA.  There are drugs here too.  They use kites to show people where they are.  One of the interns from church wanted to take a picture of one of the kites and was later told never ever do that again.  They would kill you.  They also use firecrackers to warn people to stay away when there are cops.  You hear firecrackers go off all night.Well, I've been here 49 days.  This week has been a blue one for me.  I miss everyone a lot especially my precious children and my Mom.  I thought learning Portuguese would come easier and both John and I are struggling with it.  I'm glad we have very patient teachers.  I know we are here because God wants us here.  If I did not believe that I would feel like I was under some punishment.  Pray that He will reveal more and more of Himself to John and me everyday.

No comments: