Saturday, April 15, 2006

February in Brazil

February 5, 2006 
I thought living in Texas would prepare me for any kind of weather.  I can honestly say I have often wished for a storm shelter here.  Because Cambui is on a hill we can see the storms coming for hours.  Many times they never hit us but hit Kyle or the Rodgers but lately most of the time they have hit us.  On the hottest day, when you think that you are surely going to die, a storm will materialize and a breeze will start and rain will come and it cools everything off wonderfully.  My friend Cindy Kafer from Wichita Falls would LOVE the storms here.  Lots of lightning and thunder and wind.  When the wind comes from the east many times you can smell the salt water from the ocean that is 3 hours away.  John and I were caught in a good downpour walking from having pizza last week.  It felt so cool that we did not mind not having one dry thread on us when we got home. I had my first visit to a doctor here.  I had a sinus and throat infection probably from my many trips to the pool.  Jan Rodgers went with me and helped me so much.  He gave me medicine and I felt better quickly.  You just can't feel bad here.  The heat and humidity zap you so much but if you are sick on top of everything it makes life pretty miserable.  He sent me for x-rays.  Here in Cambui you have your x-rays, you pay for them and they are yours.  You do not leave them at the doctor.  You bring them home.  So now I have beautiful pictures of my sinus' and my lungs. I have started my Santa Claus rug and although I initially hated the stitch I love it now and don't want to do anything but work on my rug.  Because it is wool it is hot and heavy on my legs so it may be more fun when it is cooler. I have told some of you that you can judge the heat of the day here by how many bathing suits are hanging to dry.  Lately it has been two every day.  I am starting to look very Brazilian with my brown hair and my tan.  John and I also look for sidewalks with shade when we go for our walks.  Anything that you can do here to be cool is worth the effort. We went to Nancy and Curt Goulding's home last night for a cook out.  Curt grilled sausage, chicken, cheese & beef.  He did not even cook all the meat he had bought.  We also had potato salad and salad.  Nancy taught us how to make papaya cream in the blender.  It was so good.  Kyle brought a dish her maid had made.  It was a coconut pudding with prune sauce.  Needless to say we were stuffed.  We met a man, Larry, who is visiting from Kansas City.  I will be able to ride with him to the airport on Tuesday when I come home.  It will be so nice to not have to ride the bus.  I will be coming to Texas on Wednesday, February 8.  It will be so nice to see Ben and some of my friends there.  I am going to The Gaither Concert in Dallas with my friend Susan Threlkeld.  It was my Christmas Present from John.  Then on Sunday, February 12, I will fly to be with my Mom in Chattanooga.  I can't wait to see her.  She is doing great though.  We are very proud of her.  I hope to get to South Carolina for one day before I leave to go back to Brazil on February 28.  I'm sure I will REALLY enjoy the cold weather.  I am missing two big events while in the states.  Carnival and the wedding of Simone to Sebastien.  John will probably sleep through Carnival but is planning on traveling to the wedding of Simone.  Without her his time here in Brazil would have been much more difficult.  She has helped him so much at work.  Unfortunately she will be moving to France where her husband will be a chef. Our Portuguese is getting better and I am starting to understand more every day.  Please don't quit praying though as we both have far to go.  John's work is going extremely well.  The people are wonderful to him there.  God is so good! Well the bells from the beautiful Catholic Church tell me it is 11:00.  I'd better get busy.  We are having the Fore Family and our Portuguese Teachers, Marina and Pierre, over to watch the Super Bowl.I have attached a picture of one of the parking places here.  I thought you would enjoy.

No comments: