Saturday, April 15, 2006

December 2006 in Brazil

Picture:  Jim and Katherine in the gardens of our apartment.
 
We had such a good Thanksgiving with Katherine (John's sister) and her husband, Jim. We picked them up at the Sao Paulo airport and drove to the beach at Guaruja.  The drive to the beach included going through a set of tunnels probably 3 miles long through these beautiful mountains.  It was so interesting.  Rising out of the water are these beautiful mountains.  It was a restful way to spend a first day after such a long trip.  The sand had no sea shells.  I thought this so different.  The hotel staff sifts the sand to make sure there is no debris before people arrive. The pool was huge and so warm.  I could have stayed forever.  We left Sunday morning and traveled to a city called Embu.  This is where the shops and tents are open on the weekend. I guess there were 500 tents or shops or booths.  There were SO many people.  We did buy a few things but mostly enjoyed just looking at the beautiful things Brazilian people make. The next week was spent shopping, walking through Cambui and eating at wonderful restaurants.  It usually meant we would be soaking wet when we arrived back to the apartment because it was so hot.  My hair and Katherine's were soaking wet the whole week.  Jim and John were most patient and went everywhere willingly.  John took us all on a tour of his plant in Capivari which is about an hour away.  We all enjoyed seeing what he does every day.  Then, it came time to pack.  I was shocked that they were able to get EVERYTHING in their bags.  They are seasoned professionals at this.  We sure did enjoy their visit.  I really miss sitting on the porch with them.  I restrained myself all weekend about CLEMSON beating U.S.C. in football.  I'm such a wonderful hostess.
Living in an apartment in the middle of such a big city has advantages and disadvantages.
The advantages are:  walking everywhere to get anything you need, sitting on the balcony and looking at the beauty around us, feeling extremely safe because of the guards at the gate, and not having a big house to clean (although this apartment is bigger than our home in Wichita Falls).  Also, all buildings here are totally made of concrete.  Houses too.  This is partly because of the termite problem here in Brazil.  You can see mounds as big as a small car in the fields.  This tells you why I have not once seen a fire truck.
The disadvantages though are numerous:  1.  Soccer is BIG here and when there is a game you cannot imagine the passion.  The bar on the corner celebrates LOUDLY.  The other night the Corinthians won and there was probably 500 fireworks set off.  It reminded me of Tigerama at Clemson.  Our apartment
shook. 2. Garbage trucks come at 2-3 in the morning.  Coming up our hill they make 4 stops and the man loading yells GO after he finishes every load.  SO if your windows are OPEN you count the loads knowing that at number 4 all this will go away. 3.  We are next to TWO gyms.  EVERY morning at 7:00 you hear these instructors screaming at their class instructions.  IT should have prompted me to join one of these places but I haven't yet.
This past week we did many things:  1.  We watched Papai Noel (Santa Claus) arrive in a helicopter to the excitement of many children.  2.  We visited a fabulous German Bakery.  I am so, so glad it is far away (30 minutes).  If it was close it would be bad news.  3.  I went to the Portuguese Class picnic and had a wonderful time.  I saw a demonstration as to how to make a Brazilian Drink called a Caipirinha.  I have never been a drinker and one sip made me realize why.  One of the women there said she has been known to sip on one for an entire evening.  4.  John went on a team building weekend with the people from his work.  I am sure four days of speaking Portuguese will put him totally over the edge. We got our new bed and although it is a queen it is much bigger than our queen bed from the States.  I would say 4 inches bigger.  We are so glad we bought it.  John missed his annual Clemson retreat with his bud's from Clemson the first week of December.  It was always a wonderful Spiritual renewal forhim and a great time to catch up with old friends.  I told him we would plan a trip back next year.  I do not want him tomiss it again.  I made a trip to Sao Paulo with a driver to get my RNE card.  This is a very important card and would enable me to be able to quit carrying my passport everywhere I go.  I got to the Federal Police Department and waited and waited and the lawyer finally asked what was taking so long and they said they had sent my papers to Campinas.  So we got in the car and drove two hours back home and started all over the next day.  I'm so glad to have my card.  It means I do not have to take so much with me all the time. I've learned how to listen to ESPN on the computer and that brings me much joy.  I listen most of the day.  When ESPN is not on the computer I usually have the Gaithers on the TV. My friend, Kathy Palmer and her Mom Mary Beasley, sent me Oprah's 20th Anniversary Tapes for Christmas.  It has brought me such joy.  We are having our rug meeting here on Thursday so the girls can watch some too.  I also gave John three years of tapes of Macgyver so He enjoys that.  I try to watch them but they just don't bring me the joy they bring John. Ben and I lost Marcellis this week.  Ben came home from work and found him dead.  Many in our K-group are probably rejoicing as they did not appreciate my little furry PET RAT.  But he was a blessing and brought Ben and me great enjoyment.
 
Meredith and John have settled in England.  Their furniture will not arrive until January.  She has a job and starts in January too.  They do not have a phone yet. 
 
Many of you have ask for things you can send.  For John and me there isn't much except graham crackers, wheat thins, ANY newspaper, chocolate chips, cherry jell-o and taco seasonings. For the missionary kids there are a few SWEET things they miss a lot.  Cherry Twizzlers, Milky ways, butterfingers, double bubble, blow pops and for Christopher Fore ANY article, any magazine, ANYTHING about his Texas Longhorns in it. I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a blessed 2006.  I will be praying for you this year.
Love, Kathy & John

No comments: