Saturday, April 15, 2006

January 15, 2006 in Brazil

Picture:  Nancy Goulding seated left and Mary Cavese seated right.  Standing is Kyle Ice, Marina Coudry (my patient teacher) & me
 
Hello from HOT Brazil.  I can say I am extremely grateful for air conditioners in the bedrooms and a pool downstairs.  They will both be used extensively to get me through the heat.  (I've always been a cold weather girl.)  The one good thing is you do not need blow dryers here because your hair is dry before you get out of the shower.
This week I am grateful for many things:
1.  For my sweet husband who, after 12-13 hours at work which includes taking Portuguese for three hours, driving to and from work (2 hours) and working at Saint Gobain, takes me out to dinner and the movie.  I know he'd really rather collapse on the couch. 
2.  For our American friends here who help make life here so much fun.  Last night we went to the #1 restaurant in Campinas.  It is a French Restaurant called Letroquet.  Oh my goodness it was good.  We arrived at 8 and it was empty.  When we left at 11:15 it was full.
The Brazilian people love to eat late.  I had garlic and parsley crusted shrimp, rice, carrots and spinach souffle and for dessert we had eclairs with vanilla ice cream & HOT chocolate poured over it.  IT WAS SO GOOD.  I'll need to do a lot of walking today to make up for it.
3. For the Fore Family who came to our home to watch the TEXAS/USC ball game.  Football takes on new meaning when watching football with SIX Texas fans.  We had such a good night and stood for the last 10 minutes of the game because we were too excited to sit.  They left VERY happy at 3:30.  The game was in Portuguese but that did not matter.
4. For the lack of TV here.  I don't miss watching politics on TV.  
5. For Fireworks.  New Years Eve took on a new meaning too in this city of two million.  I believe every person in the city shot off fireworks.  It was a great display that lasted from 11:30 to 1:30.  I watchedfrom the balcony of our apartment and enjoyed every minute.
6. For my new rug.  I FINALLY finished the rug I had been working on since September.  I am now working on a Santa rug and it is such a change.  It is a different stitch, which I don't like, but I am adjusting.  Santa is surrounded by a rabbit, a teddy bear, a dove & a dog.  I hope I finish by next Christmas.
7. For Ben SURPRISING my Mom with a visit.  He said the look on her face when she saw him standing there was priceless.  They shopped, they went to Dad's grave, they ate, and most of all they visited.  He left to go back home rested and full of Mom's good cooking.
8. For Meredith's new job.  She really likes the people she is working with and she is ready for the challenge.  She said they are grateful for her too because she already knows what she is doing and they do not have to train her.
9. For the friendly people of Brazil.  Mary Cavese and I were walking one day. After eating lunch and sitting in the park, looking up in the trees to look for parrots we stopped at this restaurant to just look at a menu. The owner had just opened 12 days before. He took Mary & me on a tour of the kitchen, showed us his homemade pasta, and sat us down with two complimentary desserts. We took our husbands back on Friday and had a wonderful meal.
It happens all the time. People are so gracious and kind here.
10. For my mother's neighbor in Chattanooga, Margaret Martin, who recently had knee replacement surgery.  They have been neighbors for 50 years.  Please pray that this makes her life wonderful and much more comfortable.
Signing off and on my way to the pool.  Come see us in beautiful Brazil.
Love, Kathy
 

No comments: