Saturday, April 15, 2006

Christmas in Brazil 2005

Dear Friends,
We had a wonderful Christmas with Meredith and John.  They arrived on December 16 and left on December 26.  We shopped, ate at new restaurants, played games (John Basel won the first three nights.  Meredith won the last game.), went to the movies (Saw King Kong and Narnia), and walked around the city.  I hope they had fun.  We sure did enjoy having them here.  I'm glad they got to see where we are.  That way they understand what is going on.  We did go to the Plant Christmas Party while they were here so they also got to see where John works.  The night before it poured rain so everything was a mess but the band was great.  It is different celebrating Christmas in 85 degree weather.  John Basel and I got to have a Bob's milkshake.  It is Ovaltine.  It is so delicious.  The Ovaltine makes it crunchy.  I told John Wells I can't have another one for two weeks or it may become a addiction. Christmas was just another excuse to celebrate by shooting off fireworks.  They went off way into the morning.  If Soccer wins and Christmas are like this what will New Year's Eve be like?  Mary Cavese told me one of the traditions here is to go to the beach, wear white, stand in the waves and let 7 waves hit you and make a wish with each wave and then throw flowers in the ocean.  I thought it sounded beautiful.  We talked to both Ben and Mom and they were doing good.  I'm sure they missed our bright and cute faces but they had a good Christmas. We went to the mall the day after Christmas thinking there would be a lot of sales.  The mall was deserted and there were no sales.  We were surprised.  The parking lot was virtually empty.  The streets here are also quiet and deserted.  I guess everyone is at the beach. My Portuguese Teacher, Marina, took me to check out the Gym that I hear every morning from the apartment.  It backs up to our apartment. We walked in and there were 50 beautiful, buff Brazilian women working out.  I couldn't find the exit fast enough.  I'll just have to work out in the privacy of my apartment.The thing I miss this week is sausage and biscuits.  I made some biscuits while the kids were here.  They weren't great but they were ok.  Not as good as Cracker Barrel.  We did get to listen to the Clemson/Colorado Bowl Game on the computer.  We are certainly glad they won.  Something that does baffle me though is the Clemson Basketball team has won 12 straight games and they are unranked.  (I also realize the first teams they have played are not the cream of the crop.)  But, then there is Wake Forest who has lost two games and they are ranked.  I am baffled! May God richly bless 2006 for you and for your family and may you find joy and peace in His wonderful AMAZING GRACE.
 

No comments: