Friday, April 14, 2006

September 21, 2005 in Brazil

SEPTEMBER 21, 2005
The last couple weeks have been exceptionally good.  Our only struggle still being the language.  John is trying so hard but it is certainly difficult.  Your continued prayer in this area is greatly appreciated. We have fluffy clothes again thanks to Mike Rodgers.  It ended up being the fuse box and he discovered it.  It is so nice to not have to iron everything.  I only do one load a week anyway.  So different with just the two of us.  It used to be a load a day. Two weeks ago we went to Americana to look for a rug (tapete).  We got lost and John called one of the men he works with and he came and found us.  Paulo and his wife Bete and their newly adopted precious daughter, Ana Clara, helped us find the rug place, buy the rug and then took us to their home and fed us.  We got to see their vacation pictures of their travels in Peru (before Ana Clara) and meet many of their family. John spent a week in France.  He ask me what I wanted him to bring me.  Perfume?  Chocolate?  Purse?  All I wanted was Frito's or Rice Krispies.  He found the Rice Krispies but was unable to find the frito's.  I'll get them in the states when I visit.  We visited Holambra on Independence Day here in Brazil.  It is a Dutch Settlement and they have a huge flower show every year for the month of September.  The flowers were amazing.  (Unfortunately, this is when John got speeding ticket #2.)  I especially loved the Amaryllis bulbs.  There were probably 3,000 of them and it took my breath away.  The Dutch children performed a wonderful dance in their wooden shoes and native costumes.  It was a perfect day. We had a horrible storm (tempestade).  I just knew the hail was going to either break our glass table on the balcony or the sliding glass doors.  We ended up having no damage but our game room to our apartment lost two doors to the hail and wind.  It was as bad as some of the storms we saw in Texas but more visible as we are on the 7th floor.  It was so bad it knocked down many trees and to people's dismay killed many pigeons.  The street people gathered them up though and had a big barbecue.  I have made many new friends the past three weeks.  Tracey and Brian Calfo have moved here from Greenville, South Carolina.  He is with Bosch and worked at the plant in Anderson.  He couldn't believe it was just 3 miles from where we used to live.  I also met Mary Cavese who is moving here from Cincinnati.  Her husband is with Proctor and Gamble.  Kyle, Nancy and I continue to work on our rug-making twice a week.  It is fun to listen to the women talk.  I never understand them but every once in a while I recognize a word.  Kyle will be my soulmate throughout this journey.  She is God's blessing!  We met a couple through the nearby Baptist Church, Francisco & Marisa Selles, that grew up very poor.  He was able to study hard and ended up getting a full scholarship to Vanderbilt University in Economics.  They are a really sweet couple.  They are a bit older than us.  John is helping him with his resume as he has recently lost his job. I had the best meal since I've been here at our Italian Restaurant.  It was meatballs stuffed with almonds, cheese, & raisins.  It was so delicious.  We went with Kyle & her husband, Sam.  Sam also ordered a delicious appetizer.  It was french bread with layers of goat cheese, sliced summer sausage, and mushrooms. 
Things I have learned:
*I may not have to depend on a plane to fly home.  The mosquitoes may carry me there!!!!
*They eat their big meal at lunch.  Small meal at supper.  This may be why they don't have weight problems here very much.
*You do not ever put your purse on the floor of a restaurant.  They bring you a chair just for your purse.
*Because of all the huge and profitable companies here in Campinas it is called The Silicon Valley of South America.
*They sell cows all day every day on one of the channel's on TV.
*There are moths that are called bat moths.  They sure do wake you up fast when they surprise you in the shower.  Just ask John.
*I always said I would not have a maid here but the wood floors changed my mind.  Eliana comes every Tuesday and cleans and cooks.  Our favorites are her lasagna & beef stroganoff so far.  She is very sweet and has only worked for Americans.  Maybe someday I will be able to talk to her.
*We listened to the Tigers play football on the Internet.  It hurts just as bad when they loose here in Brazil as it did in "Death Valley".

No comments: